Hispanic Heritage Month
We, in the Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources at West Virginia University are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month. We recognize achievements and contributions of our stakeholders and how they inspire others to achieve success!
Hear from those in the Statler College celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month:
"My Hispanic background has taught me that with dedication and hard work, everything in life is possible. My faith, loyalty, energy, and passion come from my Hispanic heritage, and I apply these traits every day in my personal and professional life while always maintaining a positive attitude towards everything I do.”
- Pedro Mago, Glen H. Hiner Dean, Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
"The possibility to contribute to the WVU community by helping students to achieve the best version of themselves through personal and professional development is what motivates me to make a difference at WVU. Looking forward to providing as much help as I can to the program."
- Cesar Octavio Romo de la Cruz, Ph.D., Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, West Virginia University
Read more about the Hispanic Heritage Month at the Presidential libraries:
- Kennedy Library - Documents related to a White House dinner honoring Severo Ochoa, winner of the Nobel Prize and the U.S. National Medal of Science.
- LBJ Library - Hispanics – The Forgotten Class in Civil Rights History, LBJ and Hispanic Heritage Month
- Ford Library - Documents regarding the Forum of National Hispanic Organizations, President Ford '76 Campaign Fact Book—Hispanic Americans, National Hispanic Heritage Week proclamations by President Ford
- Carter Library - Notes on a 1980 meeting with Hispanic leaders
- Clinton Library - Records on the Mexican Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- Lyndon B. Johnson: Proclamation No. 3869-September 17, 1968 (inaugural proclamation)
- Ronald Reagan: Proclamation 5859-Sep. 13, 1988 (last proclamation for National Hispanic Heritage Week)
- George H.W. Bush: Proclamation 6021-September 14, 1989 (first proclamation about National Hispanic Heritage Month)