Inaugural student-led conference at the Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources:
About this event:
The mission of West Virginia University states... "As a land-grant institution, the faculty, staff and students at West Virginia University commit to creating a diverse and inclusive culture that advances education, healthcare and prosperity for all by providing access and opportunity; by advancing high-impact research; and by leading transformation in West Virginia and the world through local, state and global engagement."
The faculty, staff and students of the Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources work diligently to exemplify the importance of diversity and inclusion through this mission. We value and learn from the exchange of personal experiences, values, beliefs and views that arise from differences of culture, ethnicity, language, gender, age, race, religion, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geographic region, and more.
In this first annual student-led conference, we showcased the diversity of our institution and academic portfolios in a day of celebration of WHO WE ARE! The event was open to students, faculty, staff and alumni!
Preliminary 2023 Schedule:
- Maryanne Reed, Provost & Vice President Academic Affairs, West Virginia University
- Pedro Mago, Glen H. Hiner Dean, Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, West Virginia University
1. Keynote Lecture: Engineering success story- Once a Mountaineer always a Mountaineer!
- Keynote Speaker: Brandon Downey, President and CEO of Trilogy Innovations Inc.
Brandon Downey has been a technologist and leader in the software development and systems engineering field for more than 25 years. Working with customers across federal and state governments, academia, and the petroleum industries, he provides strategy on IT digital transformations, cloud computing solutions, and custom software development. His passion is teaching the youth and leaders of tomorrow and helping forge a new identity for West Virginia. Brandon earned bachelor’s degrees in computer engineering and computer science as well as a master’s degree in software engineering at West Virginia University.
2. Speed Networking Event: Blazing paths for generations to come (2:15-3:15 p.m.).
The event is open to all the students in the Statler community. Alumni who confirmed participation are included below; full list will be available by September 1st, 2023.
- Brandon Downey, CEO of Trilogy Innovations Inc.
- Jill Burdette, Director, Global Business Development Energy Transformation, Emerson
- Brian Anderson, Executive Director of the Interagency Working Group on Coal and Power Plant Communities and Economic Revitalization and Senior Advisor to the Undersecretary for Infrastructure
- Sharon Flanery, Chair, Energy and Natural Resources Department at Steptoe & Johnson PLLC
- Dave Hawkins, President at Mid-Atlantic Surgical Systems
- Yemi Akinkugbe, Former Chief Excellence Officer at CNX Resources Corporation, Statler College Advisory Committee Member
- Keif Hess, Retired Center of Excellence Leader, Chemtura Corporation
- Kevin Fields, VP of Manufacturing Services, Hino Motors Manufacturing U.S.A., Inc.
3. Showcase of students, students’ organizations and departments (poster presentations)
followed by a social with diverse hors d'oeuvres (3:30-5:00 p.m.), Engineering
Sciences Building Atrium, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources.
- Keynote address: Engineering success stories!
- Bevin VanGilder, Chevron, upstream carbon reduction director
- Olayemi Akinkugbe, Chief Excellence Officer of CNX Resources Corporation
- Alumni Mentoring Panels: Blazing paths for generations to come. Topics:
- overcoming barriers and thriving in a complex and diverse environment
- guidance on work-family-life balance
- perspectives on different career paths.
- Diversity of thoughts and activities in the College: showcasing Students, Students Organizations and Departments (poster presentations; poster competition!).
- Social: a culturally diverse hors d'oeuvre.